Auto accidents happen every single day, everywhere. Los Angeles, California, is no exception to serious crashes that can leave victims struggling with debilitating injuries and even death. Certain types of accidents are the most serious. It’s important to know about these collisions so you can do your part to avoid them to the best of your ability. You should also know what steps you must take if you end up involved in one of these serious auto accidents. It is very important to get in contact with a Los Angeles car accident attorney, and ask the right questions form Max Keller Law Firm about dui crash!
Most Serious Road Accidents
Certain types of car accidents tend to result in more devastating injuries and property damage than others. They include the following:
• Vehicle rollover: This type of car accident is particularly deadly and involves a vehicle rolling over. It can occur on the road or even off and usually depends on factors such as the driver, road conditions, the vehicle and the weather. In many instances, vehicle rollovers happen because of drunk or drugged driving, speed and location. This type of crash accounts for the most fatalities at 85 percent.
• Rear-end collision: A rear-end collision occurs when a vehicle hits the car ahead from behind, usually due to a sudden stop of the forward vehicle. Often, the driver in the rear car is speeding or distracted and lacks sufficient time to stop to avoid the crash. Sometimes, rear-end collisions occur due to weather conditions where traction is poor.
• Side collisions: Side collisions are also known as T-bone crashes. This happens when one vehicle strikes another from the side and usually occurs at intersections when one car has the right of way before the other.
• Head-on collision: A head-on collision is exactly as it sounds. It occurs when two vehicles strike one another from the front while traveling in opposite directions. Many of these crashes are prove fatal for the victims.
Main Causes of Road Accidents
There are certain factors that can contribute to these and other types of car accidents occurring. Some of the most common include the following:
• Distracted driving
• Use of a handheld device, including a cell phone
• Traveling considerably over the speed limit
• Driving under the influence
• Failure to adhere to stop lights and signs
• Illegal turns
• Driving the wrong way
Steps to Take After a Car Accident
It is absolutely essential to take certain steps after a car accident, no matter what type of collision occurs. Doing these things is not only smart, but often, it’s against the law if you fail to do them. How you react after an accident and the choices you make are crucial, especially if you plan on filing a personal injury claim and have suffered damages. Here are the steps you should always take after a road accident:
• Stay at the scene: After you and your passengers, if there are any, have gotten to safety, you must remain at the scene of the accident. Leaving before law enforcement arrives to investigate the situation is not only unwise, but it is also illegal. If you flee the scene, you can later be criminally charged with a hit and run, even if you know the accident was not your fault.
• Verify injuries: Check yourself to see if you have suffered any injuries. You should also check on everyone else involved as well to see if they might also be injured. However, it’s important to acknowledge that even serious injuries may not necessarily be obvious or noticeable immediately after a car accident. Often, a person might not realize for several hours or even days later that they have suffered an injury. If any injuries are immediately present, it’s essential to secure medical assistance to anyone who needs it in order to prevent those injuries from being exacerbated.
• Call 911: It’s the law to call 911 to summon the police to the scene if a car accident has resulted in serious injuries, property damage or death. When you call 911, you can also request an ambulance to arrive at the scene of the crash so that emergency medical personnel can assist anyone who has suffered injuries. In addition, when the police arrive, you can be assured that an accident report will be made and filed. If you have suffered injuries and property damage, you can later obtain a copy of that report from your local police precinct. Make sure to get the names and badge numbers of the responding officers as well.
• Exchange information: It’s important to exchange information with the other driver or drivers involved in the accident. Make sure you get their full names, addresses, phone numbers, license plate and driver’s license numbers and insurance information. At the same time, you must be discreet while having an exchange as you don’t want to say too much or say anything that could possibly be misconstrued as an admission of guilt or fault for the crash. Always keep the conversation to the barest minimum.
• Get witness information: Look for witnesses and get their information as well. You should get their names and contact information as well as their account of the accident. You can have them write their statements or even record them with your smartphone. This information comes in especially handy later when you speak with an auto injury attorney.
• Take pictures: Take as many pictures of the damage from the accident as possible. You should get shots of the cars, the road, especially skid marks, weather and road conditions and any signs noting the speed limit and other pertinent information. You should also make sure to include old photos of your car to compare with the damage it sustained in the crash. Your Los Angeles accident attorney can use it as evidence of the damages to help in your claim.
West Coast Trial Lawyers can help you to recover the compensation you deserve for injuries and property damage you suffered in an auto accident. Your auto injury attorney can help you get your personal injury claim started so you can get compensation for your medical expenses, vehicle damage, lost wages and other damages. Contact West Coast Trial Lawyers at your earliest convenience to discuss your case with an experienced Los Angeles accident attorney.